Wild About Devon – Community Wildlife Grant Scheme 2023
The Wild About Devon grant scheme 2023 is now closed for further applications.
What IS the project about?
The aim of this grant scheme is to provide an easy way for community groups to access small amounts of funding to start a wildlife group or carry out activities that promote wildlife. Funds can be used for advice, equipment and other resources.
progress to date
We have received 113 applications from all over Devon and awarded almost 40 grants to a total of £10,000.
We will publish a mid-project report in August and the final report, when all of the projects are complete, will be published in December.
To keep in touch with the project's progress and find out about future funding opportunities join the Wild About Devon Facebook discussion group
last year's ACHIEVEMENTS
In 2022, grant funding of £5,000 was awarded to 27 Community Wildlife Groups in Devon. Outcomes include:
- A total of 204,006.65 square meters of land protected or restored. This included wet and dry meadow & woodland and land used to create ponds.
- A total number of 420 people within communities across Devon engaged in the projects.
Examples of projects wE FUNDED
- Restoration of neglected habitats such as hedges, grassland or woodland.
- Creation of new wildlife areas including ponds, wildflower meadows, hedges and woodlands, especially in places which help connect existing wildlife areas.
- Creation of a new wildlife group.
- Enhancement of community gardens, churchyards and other public spaces.
- Purchase of tools, materials, training, or safety equipment.
- Purchase of monitoring equipment for species recording and education.
- For wildflower planting advice go here
- Visit this link for sources of funding and resources for tree planting projects.
- Join our Wild About Devon Facebook discussion group and have access to a peer network, information on training events, webinars and other handy updates on wildlife issues and projects across Devon.
- Gain access to our Community Toolkit.
- If you are a council wanting to improve your area for wildlife, please join our Devon Parish & Town Council Wildlife Network.