In his professional life Ian Cowling had more than thirty five years experience of business consultancy and IT management. He worked for a major management consultancy and various blue chip companies. His projects ranged from small scale to the very largest – 500 man teams.
During his career he had management responsibility for systems development and installation, for operational support and sales, and worked in the UK, Europe, SE Asia, USA and the Middle East and in a variety of business sectors.
Ian moved to North Devon in 1988 and has lived in Bishops Nympton parish since then. He retired in 2005 and has since undertaken various voluntary positions:
- 2007 elected as Parish Councillor for Bishops Nympton.
- 2007 elected as Trustee of the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Trust
- 2008 appointed Financial Director of the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway CIC
- 2011 elected as a North Devon representative on the Devon Association of Local Councils
- 2016 joined Devon Communities Together Board as Trustee representing DALC..
- He is currently Chairman of Bishops Nympton Parish Council.
Ian holds a B.Sc.(Hons) degree in Business Operation and Control from the University of Salford.